Sunday, November 18, 2012

Chance Favors the Connected Mind


It’s been three weeks now since I came home from the conference weekend in Traverse City. So much has happened since then: the elections, the quarter ended, grades had to be completed, new lessons begun.

On Friday, Jan Cramer from Battle Creek posted on Facebook: “Tests and projects graded, 50 Kindergarten empty bowls drying, student holiday art/cards matted and framed, PLC meeting agenda copied, kiln loaded and firing, materials ready to go for Mon. and Tues....this is how I spent my Friday night.” We can all relate to her post, can’t we?

Amidst all the complexities of life I crave and cherish tranquil moments—moments that I allow myself for creative reflection. Recently I came across this video by Steven Johnson, considering “Where Good Ideas Come From”, also the title of his recent book.

We can look at Facebook or Twitter or Pinterest or texting or any other form of communication as a distraction, another complexity but then again we can consider them connectivity, which is what the 21st century is all about, isn’t it?

One of my biggest challenges in my role as MAEA High School Division Co-chair is that very notion: other than at the conference how do we connect? I see this blog as a tiny possibility that could grow into something far more than it is now. Jeanine has set the blog up so that we have tabs for each level: HS, MS, El. And now: Assessment. Lots of teachers are concerned about this area. So let’s talk about it! Let’s take advantage of this way of connecting.

And if you have an idea, a hunch, bring it up, and maybe someone else will have a hunch and maybe those hunches will collide, mingle and create new forms.

So here’s the plan: I will set up a schedule for high school teachers to start the ball rolling. I already have ten of you interested in writing for the blog on occasion. I’ll e-mail you and set up a schedule. It can be an interview, a lesson idea, a student success story, or simply a creative idea that you want to talk about. Let us know if you want to join the party, if you want to write, e-mail me.
If you are an elementary or middle school teacher we have a tab for you, too!

But what I’d really like to see is dialogue after the authors post an article.
Voice an opinion, an affirmation, start a disagreement, share an example or tell a story. We’d love to hear your voice! Claudia: burnsc@aaps.k12.mi.us

No comments:

Post a Comment